How to Train a Boxer Dog

Although my intention for this blog is how to train a dog in general, today I want to talk to you about how to train a Boxer dog. My readers all know that Boxers are my favorite dog breed and will often see me refer to them. I want to make it clear though that I’m a dog lover first, then a Boxer dog lover second. I’ve owned numerous breeds including a Beagle that was with me before I got my Boxer.

Before I get into how to train a Boxer dog I want to talk about the history and temperament of this breed. The Boxer is a dog full of energy and is extremely playful. I sometimes laugh (inside of course) when I see the worry on people’s face when I’m walking my dog. People who don’t know the breed think that they are mean dogs because of their look and stature. My reaction is always to tell the person that Boxers are friendly dogs that love people and ask if they want to pet him. Most will say okay and are surprise when he starts wagging his tail and his overall friendliness.

Anyways back to the Boxer profile. This breed is an extremely loyal family companion. If you are looking to learn how to train a Boxer dog, then I think you should also know that this breed is not for everyone. Because they are extremely intelligent they can be trained faster than other dogs but their intelligence is also used to get what they want.

Some people who are looking to learn how to train a Boxer dog tend to assume that they are naturally aggressive dogs but this couldn’t be further from the truth. These dog’s love humans and will also get along with other animals. They are also known to be one of those dogs that stay in the puppy hood stage for a long time (up to 4 years).

A short history of the Boxer dog

The Boxer dog is a medium sized, short haired dog with a stocky build. Just like many other breeds, they originated from Germany where they bred from using the English Bulldog and the Bullenbeisser (now extinct).

Boxers now hold the title of one of the most popular dog breeds by the AKC. They are the 6th most popular dog in the US for the second year in a row.

How to Train a Boxer dog

When training a Boxer you should understand that these dogs can have a stubborn streak. There will be times when you ask her to do something and you can tell that they understand you but will look at you in the face and just ignore you. I mention this for the second time because you to be patient.

One of the biggest aspects of training a boxer is socialization. Boxers are naturally very friendly dogs but they also need to the socialization to become well balanced confident dogs in all situations. The best way to train a boxer is through classes where they will be along side other people and dogs.

Socialization should begin as early as you get you puppy and is an important part for anyone who is seriously looking to learn how to train a dog. The real Boxer dog training should begin when your dog is between the age of 13- 16 weeks. At this age your dog will begin to test you and your dominance. They may even try to nip to show you that they are boss but mainly they will try not to listen to you. This is where you have to show your Boxer that bad behavior will not be tolerated.

In terms of the actual training techniques, Boxer dog training is really no different than training another breed. If you follow the methods outlined in this blog you will be able to have a well obedient dog. Hopefully you’ve learned something from this how to train a Boxer dog post and stay tuned for some more tips and ticks.

1 comment:

  1. Nice, and Thanks. But we want to know whether they are good personal guards or not. Because guard dogs are a priority these days.

    ReplyDelete